Check Availability
Best Price

Surroundings

The first traces of Solhof Castle go back to 1414. That year the castle became the property of Nikolaes Van de Wouwere. The Van de Wouwere family kept it until 1555. Then the property was sold to Karel Micault, knight and lord of Oosterstein & Aartselaer. After the death of knight Karel Micault, his widow Blanca de Bordeaux sold the domain to Antonio Del Rio, a Spanish nobleman who was enormously wealthy. He also bought Castle Cleydael and some other propertiesin the area.

Del Rio made the mistake of becoming the caretaker of Alva's blood council which contained all the goods stolen by the Spanish armies. Because of this Antonio was disgraced by the city council of Brabant,which resulted in a siege of the castle. All his goods were confiscated and he left Belgium. Of all his possessions, it is said that Solhof was the one he loved most. Antonio Del Rio died in Lisbon onFebruary 17, 1586. After several successive owners, the Campomenoso family became the proud residents of the castle in 1614 and in 1837 the Baron of Ertborn acquired Solhof. The street in front of the castle still bears his name.After the death of his daughter, Solhof Castle was sold to Baroness Ludwina de Borrekens.

The last owner Jean Nyssens sold the domain in 1984 to the municipality of Aartselaar. The current owner bought the castle in 1990.In the 16th century, Solhof Castle was an impressive stronghold surrounded by a moat. The two turrets are thesome remains of this castle. Today the castle is transformed into a luxury hotel and still reflectsstill the nobility of days gone by.

Find locations of Charme Hotels
Find
locations
of Charme
Hotels
Sign Up For Newsletter
Stay informed about Charme Hotels
Receive exclusive offers by emailStay informed about Charme Hotels
Follow us on
Charme Hotels on InstagramWatch Charme Hotels on YouTubeCharme Hotels on LinkedInFollow Charme Hotels on TwitterCharme Hotels on Facebook
InstaWatchLinkFollowFriend